Description: The Climate Change Action Committee (often a subset of the Conservation Committee) and its chairperson provide the focus for the Chapter’s role in assisting Audubon with reaching its goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions in the US by 2% per year, accomplishing an 80% reduction by 2050.
- Work with the Board to establish climate change action goals for the Chapter as part of the annual planning process.
- Working with the committee, develop climate change action objectives, strategies and budgets for the Chapter Board’s approval.
- Provide leadership to the committee in implementing the strategies. Delegate responsibilities according to the experience and interests of committee members.
- Recruit Chapter members to the committee. Brainstorm with current members on ways to increase participation on the committee. Use specific efforts such as a targeted letter writing campaign or personal carbon footprint reduction projects to interest and involve non-committee members in the Chapter's climate change action efforts.
- Keep the President, other appropriate Board members and the media informed of climate change action activities and the Chapter's position on local environmental issues. Be prepared to handle inquiries from the media and community leaders.
- Notify your state director or Chapter Services Office (in states with no state office) of regional- or state-level Chapter climate change activities and keep the committee informed of Audubon's positions on national and state issues. Coordinate with Audubon to avoid conflicts.
- Provide regular articles for the Chapter newsletter on climate change activities. This duty can be delegated to committee members. If appropriate, provide information for Audubon’s Chapter Networker and the Audubon Newswire & In The News.
- Inform the Board about the Chapter’s climate change activities activities, Audubon’s priority campaigns and other regional and state campaigns through regular reports at Board meetings and member meetings. Delegate these presentations to others when necessary.
- Advise the Board on developing climate change policies in developing and adopting position statements.