Membership Chair, List Manager, and Promotion
Description: In most Chapters the Membership Committee is responsible for helping to maintain membership records and recruiting new members. If the Chapter is committed to recruiting new members, the entire Board should be involved in planning and implementing membership drives. Member recruitment is too big a job for one, usually small, committee.
The Membership Chair has one of the more challenging jobs, especially in larger Chapters. It is strongly recommended that the Chapter consider splitting the position into two – one to keep track of the membership lists used for mailings (List Manager) and one (Membership Promotion) to focus on bigger picture, strategic planning for membership recruitment and enhancement.
Membership List Manager
Description: Manages the Chapter membership list through the online Chapter Reporting System and integrates that list with any internal Chapter lists.
- Request access to the Chapter Roster, Chapter Change Reports, Mailing Labels and Incentive Payment Reports through the Web-based Chapter Reporting System.
- Check the monthly Chapter Roster and Chapter Change Report produced by Audubon for accuracy and to update your files if needed.
- Send errors in the Roster or Chapter Change Report to Membership Customer Service. Please be sure to include your Chapter's code and each member’s ACS ID in the message.
- If you are the Admin for your Chapter on the Chapter Reporting System, add and remove delegates as needed. If you are handing over the Admin position to someone else, contact Chapter Services to make the update.
Description: Promotes membership cultivation, acquisition and welcome to the Chapter.
- Work with the hospitality committee to welcome new members at Chapter programs.
- Promote membership participation by sending new members a welcome letter, the current newsletter and schedules of programs and field trips.
- Order and distribute National Audubon Society membership forms - being sure to print the proper membership source code on each form
- Promote membership by working with the committee and the Board to advertise the Chapter in a variety of ways in the community. Any large membership recruitment effort will require the involvement of the entire Board.
- Make the toll-free number for Membership Customer Service available to members for problems with their magazine subscription, to update their contact information or to renew by phone (800-274-4201).