Description: The Treasurer is custodian of the Chapter’s funds and is responsible for keeping accounts and dispersing funds in accordance with the Board’s direction and Chapter policy.
- Collect all Chapter funds and deposit them in a bank account so as to maximize return on deposit, and maintain their security and accessibility.
- Keep Chapter Services informed of any changes in the Chapter bank routing number and checking account number, to facilitate direct deposits from National (membership incentive payments, baseline funding, Audubon grants, etc.). Please note: to have the EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer) descriptions included on your bank statements, you must contact your bank to request this service.
- Prepare an annual budget with the advice and approval of the Board.
- Produce an annual financial report for the Board laying out assets and liabilities as well as income and expenses.
- Produce monthly or quarterly financial reports and maintain accurate books that are available for Board scrutiny at monthly meetings or as requested.
- Keep track of any Membership Incentive Payments by registering for a My Audubon account, if you don't have one already, and requesting access to the Chapter Reporting System's Payments page.
- Disburse Chapter funds as directed by the Board, either through approval of a specific expenditure or through approval of criteria for expenditures.
- Provide leadership and ideas for fundraising initiated by the Board and Chapter for Chapter programs.
- Apply for and maintain the tax exempt status of the Chapter unless this responsibility is specifically designated to another Board member. Obtain at least three copies of the IRS 501(c)(3) letter; keep one for yourself, give one to the president and send on to Chapter Services.
- Report to Audubon annually using the financial portion of the Chapter Annual Report. This will require registering for a My Audubon account, if you don't have one already, and requesting access to the Chapter Reporting System's Annual Report page.
- Maintain an accurate accounting of funds deposited by National into the Chapter checking account, including baseline funding (annually after submittal of the Chapter Annual Report), collaborative funding or other Audubon grants, and membership incentive payments (quarterly).
- If the Chapter has a substantial budget, arrange for an annual audit, and submit it to the Board.
Treasurer Job Description (San Fernando Valley Audubon Society)
Internal Accounting Guidelines (external resource: Labyrinth, Inc.)
Non-Profit Financial Management (external resource: Free Management Library)